Being a great flirter will never steer you wrong. In order to learn how to flirt effectively, a couple of scientists decided to do a deep dive into what makes flirting successful and what people find attractive.
To find out, they did two studies, the first with close to 500 participants who identified 47 different traits in “effective flirting.” Next, the second study asked over 800 people to rate those 47 traits based on how they thought the traits would work on them. From there, they were able to put the 47 traits into nine categories:
- Gentle Approach – Women responded to this one most, with traits like not moving too fast, discreteness, politeness, kindness, and the like.
- Good Looks – In addition to looks, this included how you dress, charm, and comfort level with how you spend money.
- Courage/Determination – Add to this boldness, directness, and self-confidence.
- Intelligence – This is where humor, education, and personality come into play.
- Cheerfulness – In other words, don’t be a negative, energy-sucking jerk.
- Non-Verbal Behavior – The way you look at them, smell, smile, etc.
- Mystery – This is where your unusual hobbies and originality come into play.
- Common Characteristics – Common ground for both of you to have comfort with.
- Strong Interest & Romance – Chalk this one up to chemistry, sweetness, and a desire to learn about each other.
Of all 47 traits, humor and intelligence ranked highest, followed by “good looks,” while “unusual hobbies” hit the bottom spot. To see the full list of 47 traits, just click here.